Sunday, July 17, 2011

Kringle's Capsule Review: OMP Allstars: Complete Christmas Classics

OMP Allstars: Complete Christmas Classics

Generic studio cover albums are a dime a gross come the holidays, clogging up bargain bins masquerading as Christmas hits collections but featuring third rate singers and threadbare production values. On first look I figured OMP Allstars "Complete Christmas Classics" to be just that sort of fly by night collection of dross, imagine my surprise when I found some of the tracks to be not just listenable but actually pretty good!

While I'll admit Complete Christmas Classics is surprisingly listenable I wouldn't go so far to say I preferred any of its versions of these holiday standards to my favorites (or that I'll even revisit it again come crimbo) but it is a perfectly acceptable collection with a mercifully few total klangers - I'm looking at you crap karaoke version of Fairytale of New York.

Fave Tracks
I'll Be Home For Christmas, Amazing Grace, Walking in the Air, Grownup Christmas List

 

Preview/Buy Complete Christmas Classics @ Amazon.com

Listen @ Spotify